11.7 Question
Emcnabb
Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me get started on this problem. A dealer deals you a flush and your highest card is a 7. The dealer then proceeds to deal another player 5 cards. What is the probability that the player gets a flush that beats your flush? You do not have to consider the rule that a straight flush beats a flush or any other standard rule, just compare the high cards of the flushes. Thank you!
Alan_Mendoza: Feb. 8, 2015, 12:07 a.m.
Emcnabb, I think maybe you do the same process as calculating the probability of a flush but after picking the suit you eliminate 6 cards because they can't be 2-7, only 8-A. I'm not too sure on this.
lindontran: Feb. 8, 2015, 12:47 a.m.
Alan, I also thought you used the same process, and ended up getting (4 1)(7 1)(12 4) / (47 5).. The answer in the back of the book is completely different. Could anyone clarify this problem?
weisbart: Feb. 8, 2015, 11:20 a.m.
I'll check the solutions in this section over in just a bit. It appears that I may have changed a question or two but not changed the solution from a previous version of the text. The order of two of the solutions are switched, so this makes me suspect that something is not all right.
mdavila: Feb. 19, 2015, 12:24 a.m.
Just curious as to what the resolution was towards this problem: so far I am thinking ((4C1) * ((13C5)-3)) / (47C5) ?